With its own private access and exceptional views of the parkland, those staying in The Maitland can enjoy a relaxed castle stay in five-star surroundings. This luxurious apartment has been created in the South Wing in an area of Thirlestane Castle that was once the old laundries. Classic Singer sewing machines nod to the apartment’s past whilst large, dramatic, family portraits in the main reception room offer a sense of grandeur.
The master bedroom with its traditional metal bedstead and full height windows has been finished in a gentle, soft blue. The ensuite shower room in shades of charcoal gives off the feeling of luxurious glamour. The second bedroom looks out on the Cobbled Courtyard and the dramatic roofline of the main castle. The coral accent colour reflects the rose-pink stone of castle.
The generous proportions of this apartment are most evident in the main reception room where four full height windows flood the space with light and offer panoramic views of the parkland. A large gilt mirror reflects even more light and is flanked by the dramatic portraits of the 15th Countess of Lauderdale’s Great Grandparents. A spacious dining area and kitchen allow keen cooks to make the most of the local produce found across the Scottish Borders
The apartment is accessed from either the same level via the castle gardens or up a private staircase from the enclosed Cobbled Courtyard that guests are also able to make use of during their stay.
- Bedrooms: Two - One twin/super-king-size, One king-size. Hairdryers and bathrobes are provided in both bedrooms.
- Bathrooms: Two – One bathroom with shower over the bath and one shower room, both with underfloor heating.
- Kitchen/Dining: Fully-fitted kitchen includes integrated hob/oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and microwave. Dining table to seat four people.
- Experiences: We can organise a number of experiences from spa sessions to food hampers, a bagpiper’s welcome to an exclusive tour of the Borders. See our Experiences page for more details.
- Nearest Town: Lauder – 0.7 miles. A grocery shop, pubs and restaurant are all available within walking distance and further local information about local transport, points of interest and local attractions are provided in your accommodation.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide water and food bowls.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds directly opposite this apartment.
- Parking: There are dedicated parking spaces for guests close to the apartment.
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests. There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.
- Included: 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, 43-inch free-view TV, Roberts digital radio, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.
- This apartment can be booking in conjunction with our other accommodation as part of a group booking. Other spaces throughout the castle are also available for use.