This one-bedroom apartment in the South Wing offers a luxury escape to visitors who wish to stay in a genuinely historic Scottish castle. Once the Butler’s Apartment, the space has been transformed into a well-proportioned suite with views over the extensive parkland.
The baronial style that is evident in the castle’s architecture has been reflected in the bedroom with the extravagant use of the Maitland family’s tartan for the statement bed and other soft furnishings. The 3rd Earl of Lauderdale adopted the blue and green tartan that belonged to his wife Elizabeth Lauder’s family, and the Lauder tartan has been used as the Maitland family tartan ever since. The grandeur continues into the bathroom where a luxurious free-standing roll-top bath takes up the centre of the room.
In the open-plan living, dining and kitchen area the natural colouring gives a relaxed but sumptuous feel. An oil painting from the School of Canaletto depicting a view of Venice has been loaned from the castle collection as have other items of furniture.
A charming, established apartment where guests can get a feel for what it is like to live in a Scottish castle.
- Bedrooms: One - King-size. A hairdryer and bathrobes are provided in the bedroom.
- Bathrooms: One – Free-standing roll-top bath and separate shower.
- Kitchen/Dining: Fully-fitted kitchen includes integrated hob/oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher washing machine and microwave. Dining table to seat two people.
- Experiences: We can organise a number of experiences from spa sessions to food hampers, a bagpiper’s welcome to an exclusive tour of the Borders. See our Experiences page for more details.
- Nearest Town: Lauder – 0.7 miles. A grocery shop, pubs and restaurant are all available within walking distance and further local information about local transport, points of interest and local attractions are provided in your accommodation.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide water and food bowls.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds directly opposite this apartment.
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests. There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.
- Included: 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, free-view TV and DVD, digital radio, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.
- This apartment can be booking in conjunction with our other accommodation as part of a group booking. Other spaces throughout the castle are also available for use.