The Earl & Countess
This apartment was formerly the private quarters of the 14th Earl and Countess of Lauderdale and most recently the castle nurseries. It has been exquisitely restored into a three-bedroom apartment, perfect for small groups and families. Accessed by one of the castle’s grand sweeping staircases, its position on the second floor means there are fabulous views of the parkland from the large full height windows.
A dramatic colour scheme has been used throughout to compliment the statement items of furniture and paintings that have been borrowed from the castle collection.
The coral walls of the master bedroom highlight the vintage-style bed hanging while its luxurious ensuite is a calming shade of Wedgewood blue. Original bedheads from when the castle was used as a hospital in the First World War complete the room. The bold colours and intricate Schumacher ‘Chiang Mei Dragon’ fabric in the second bedroom offers a nod to the castle’s links with Asia. The 15th Countess’s father was J. J. Bell-Irving, a very successful Hong Kong banker and merchant, and he brought many items back with him which can be seen throughout the castle. The opulence continues in the ensuite shower room with vintage gold taps. The high ceilings throughout the apartment enable a grand four poster bed to be used in the third bedroom. The large windows frame stunning views across the castle estate.
The main reception room is an open-plan space dominated by a large gilt mirror that until recently hung in the State Drawing Room of the castle. The chandelier casts a soft light over the portraits, one of which is by John Scougall, and the bespoke wallpaper panels featuring designs from an historic antique tapestry. Watch the sunset in the evening over the parkland from the large west-facing bay window.
With hints of vibrant colour on the walls and historic furnishings, the Earl & Countess give you a stunning castle experience. Completed in January 2019 this is one of the newest apartments available at Thirlestane Castle which can also be taken in conjunction with our other apartments to sleep larger groups.
- Bedrooms: Three - One twin/super-king-size, two king-size. Hairdryers and bathrobes are provided in all bedrooms.
- Bathrooms: Three - Two bathrooms with showers over the baths and one shower room. All have underfloor heating.
- Kitchen/Dining: Fully-fitted kitchen includes integrated hob/oven, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and microwave. Dining table to seat six people.
- Experiences: We can organise a number of experiences from spa sessions to food hampers, a bagpiper’s welcome to an exclusive tour of the Borders. See our Experiences page for more details.
- Nearest Town: Lauder – 0.7 miles. A grocery shop, pubs and restaurant are all available within walking distance and further local information about local transport, points of interest and local attractions are provided in your accommodation.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide water and food bowls.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds directly opposite this apartment.
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests. There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.
- Included: 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, 50-inch free-view TV, Roberts digital radio, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.
- This apartment can be booking in conjunction with our other accommodation as part of a group booking. Other spaces throughout the castle are also available for use.