With its tranquil parkland setting by the banks of the River Leader, Thirlestane Castle is the perfect getaway destination for a family gathering, celebration or for those enjoying country sports locally. The South Wing of this fairy tale, turreted castle consists of five beautifully created individual apartments that when let together provide spacious, luxury accommodation for groups of up to sixteen people.
Guests can dine in the grand, portrait-lined State Dining Room or the castle’s original Victorian Kitchen with its vaulted ceiling and 19th-century range oven. There is also the option to use other areas of the castle such as the historic Billiards Room or for a more rustic experience why not have a BBQ in the Cobbled Courtyard.
All of our accommodation has been finished to a five-star standard and each apartment is totally individual and unique. They have been carefully restored by the Maitland family and many of the paintings and furnishings belong to the castle collection. The décor in Glenburnie reflects the moor behind the castle it is named after and you can browse photographs of the Maitland family’s prize-winning horse which also bears the same name. Enjoy the grand proportions in The Earl & Countess which were once their private suite. Imagine how the rooms of The Sculleries would have been used as you pass the old mangle in the flagstone hallway. With its full height windows, The Maitland is a light and airy space in which to relax and also offers a nod to its past as the castle laundries with two vintage sewing machines in the hallway. Experience a true Scottish castle stay in The Lauderdale with its Maitland tartan furnishings and free-standing bath. Each apartment also has its own kitchen and sitting room should members of the group wish to enjoy some privacy.
A complimentary tour of the castle is included for all guests while they are staying and we can help organise additional group activities such as a falconry display, whisky tasting or a bagpiper’s welcome. We can even arrange an exclusive tour of the Borders or for a therapist to come and provide spa treatments within your accommodation to complete a truly memorable stay.
"The accommodation was everything we needed and with a group ranging from age 3 to 70 that’s impressive. We didn’t want to leave!"
Please contact us directly with your preferred dates and the number of people in your party by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +44 (0)1578 722430 so we can tailor your bespoke group stay.
- Bedrooms: Eight - Three twin/super-king-size, one super-king-size, four king-size. Hairdryers and bathrobes are provided in all bedrooms
- Bathrooms: Eight – Two have a shower only, four have a bath with shower over and two have a free-standing bath with separate shower.
- Catering: Guests are welcome to self-cater and have use of the Victorian Kitchen and its servery which has a fully fitted kitchen. Alternatively, let us arrange for one of our award-winning caterers to come in and provide all your meals for you.
- Experiences: We can organise a number of experiences from spa treatments to food hampers, a bagpiper’s welcome to an exclusive tour of the Borders. See our Experiences page for more details.
- Nearest Town: Lauder – 0.7 miles. A grocery shop, pubs and restaurant are all available within walking distance and further local information about local transport, points of interest and local transport are provided in your accommodation.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide water and food bowls.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds.
- Parking: There are dedicated parking spaces for guests close to the apartment
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests. There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.
- Included with each apartment: Fully-equipped kitchen, 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, large free-view TVs, Roberts digital radios, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.