This charming one-bedroom apartment is set in the heart of the South Wing. It takes its name from the moor behind the castle that is resplendent in purple heather during late summer and early Autumn. Glenburnie was also the name of a horse bred by the Maitland family which went on to become European Champion in three-day eventing and which was ridden by local eventer Ian Stark. A portrait of the horse is reflected back into the sitting room by a large mirror in the hallway.
The spacious bedroom has been finished with gentle greens and accents of pink and red creating a calming space. Statement pieces of furniture from the castle collection have been used including the dressing table which was formally the base for a spinet harpsicord.
Once the castle’s Housekeeper’s Room, the original Victorian range in the sitting room has been sympathetically restored with soft, modern lighting to add to the relaxing ambience. This range was long forgotten about and uncovered during the renovation. The open-plan space is dominated by large portraits by George and John Scougall from the castle collection featuring two of the castle’s forbears.
Finished in early 2019 this apartment is one of the most recently-refurbished in the castle and provides a luxurious, romantic base from which to explore the Scottish Borders.
- Bedrooms: One - Twin/super-king-size. A hairdryer and bathrobes are provided in the bedroom.
- Bathrooms: One – Shower over the bath with underfloor heating.
- Kitchen/Dining: Fully-fitted kitchen includes integrated hob/oven, fridge with ice-box, dishwasher and microwave. Dining table to seat two people.
- Experiences: We can organise a number of experiences from spa sessions to food hampers, a bagpiper’s welcome to an exclusive tour of the Borders. See our Experiences page for more details.
- Nearest Town: Lauder – 0.7 miles. A grocery shop, pubs and restaurant are all available within walking distance and further local information about local transport, points of interest and local attractions are provided in your accommodation.
- Dogs: We welcome dogs and provide water and food bowls.
- Children: We can provide high chairs and travel cots for younger guests. There is a playpark within the castle grounds directly opposite this apartment.
- Gardens: There is a garden area to the rear of the castle where a selection of garden games are available for guests. There are also woodland and riverside walks within the estate and the grounds are crossed by long-distance path The Southern Upland Way.
- Included: 100% Egyptian cotton bed linen, towels, tea towels, 43-inch free-view TV, Roberts digital radio, a selection of books and games, cleaning on departure, Wi-Fi, electricity, water and central heating.
- This apartment can be booking in conjunction with our other accommodation as part of a group booking. Other spaces throughout the castle are also available for use.